The Who, What, When of Endurance International Group (EIG)
In this post we are going to take a closer look on the big conglomerates that took over dozens of hosting companies for the past few years – the Endurance International Group – EIG.
EIG, formerly BizLand, is probably the biggest player in today's web hosting industry. The company was first founded as a web hosting company in 1996 and is HQ in Burlington, Massachusetts. In 2011, EIG was acquired by Accel-KKR and GS Capital Partners for an undisclosed amount.
At this time of writing, EIG has more than 80 web hosting brands under its umbrella (more on this shortly) and 4.9 million paying customers from all over the world.
*Note: On February 10th, 2021, it was announced that Clearlake Capital Group has completed the acquisition of Endurance International Group at approximately $3.0 billion (source).
**Its subsidiaries including Bluehost, HostGator, Web.com, etc. are now under a newly formed company named Newfold Digital.
In short, they are really, really huge.
However, looking at the company's previous financial result, the company was at revenue of $277.2 million with a net loss of $12.3 million for Financial Year 2019.
Total subscribers on EIG platform at December 31, 2019 were approximately 4.766 million; compared to approximately 5.217 million subscribers at June 30, 2017 and approximately 5.011 million
subscribers at March 31, 2018.
Hosting Companies and Brands under EIG
Endurance International Group – or EIG for short – umbrellas over approximately 60 companies, many of which are web hosting companies.
The following is a list of companies along with their respective EIG acquisition dates (where available).
- A Small Orange – 2012
- Arvixe – 2014
- Berry Information Systems L.L.C.
- Bluehost – 2011
- Directi – 2014
- Escalate Internet
- HostGator – 2012
- Hostnine – 2012
- HostMonster – 2011
- Host with Me Now
- Network Solutions
- Intuit Websites
- iPage – 2009
- IX Web Hosting – 2015
- JustHost – 2011
- Networks Web Hosting
- SEO Hosting
- SEO Web Hosting
- Southeast Web
- SuperGreen Hosting
- Website Builder
- Webstrike Solutions
- Webzai – 2014
* Note: Hyperlinks are pointing to our review on the respective hosting brands.
* Also check out Michael's list of 80+ EIG brands here: http://researchasahobby.com/full-list-eig-hosting-companies-brands/
Is EIG's hosting brands any good?
Well, the company has some definite pluses – take, for example, it’s A rating on BBB.
BBB's reason of ratings
- Length of time business has been operating.
- Complaint volume filed with BBB for business of this size.
- Response to 365 complaint(s) filed against business.
- Resolution of complaint(s) filed against business.
- BBB has sufficient background information on this business.
However – given the fact that I am affiliated to a number of hosting brands under its management – I will leave it to you to decide.
Not all EIG brands are the same
Like them or not – it's important to understand that not all Endurance brands are the same.
Every acquisition comes with some risk and uncertainty – and, as some may expect, some of the EIG brands were “left for dead” while the conglomerate continued to grow and pour investments into other areas.
BlueHost, for example, has continued to thrive under its new management. The company has revamped their websites, added new hosting range in their services, and remained as one of the top names in hosting industry. The same cannot be said for eHost, HostClear, and IX Web Hosting – these brands no longer exist today and their users were transferred to other platforms.
Alternatives: Non-EIG Hosting Brands
Just in case you prefer something else – here are a few non-EIG hosting companies that I recommend (click link to read my review).
- A2 Hosting – Fast and reliable server, reasonable price.
- Cloudways – Managed cloud hosting platform – great scalability.
- Hostinger – Cheap and wide selections in server locations.
- InMotion Hosting – US hosting companies 20 years business track record.
- Interserver – New Jersey-based cheap VPS hosting provider.
- ScalaHosting – Wide range of hosting choices including cloud platform on Amazon AWS infrastructure.
- Zyro – Cheap, all-in-one website builder.
What is your experience so far with Endurance's web hosting services so far? Please share with us on Twitter.
- Malware Protection: How To Check For And Prevent Malware On Your Website
- Best Website Down Checkers: 21 Tools to Test Website Status and Track Uptime
- 11 Alternatives to DocuSign (Free & Paid)
- Best DDOS protection for small business websites
- Best server hosting for small business
- How to check for and prevent malware on websites
- How vulnerable is your web server
- How to hide or change your IP address?