- Review Updated: Sep 19, 2017
Arvixe is a privately held hosting company located in San Luis Obispo, CA with more than 10 years under its belt. Founded in 2003 by Arvand Sabetian, this hosting provider made the Inc. 500 list as one of America’s Fastest Growing Private Companies in both 2011 and 2012.
A little more about Arvand Sabetian
Before we dig into Arvixe’s hosting plans, I thought it’d be interesting to take a closer look on Arvand Sabetian and how things work in the company.
Arvand Sabetian landed Inc. 30 under 30 for two consecutive years in 2002 and 2003. He first started his Arvixe after his junior year of high school. According to an article on Inc, Sabetian didn’t want to give up his company when he started college; so what so he convinced a few friends to help him keep it running while they got their degrees. In 2008, the young entrepreneur was set to graduate with a degree in civil engineering and in the same time, his company Arvixe was bringing in about $150,000 profit annually. He decided to give Arvixe one more year… and, the rest is history.
Arvixe grew from a one-man operations into a company making multi-millions today. What’s most interesting about Arvixe to me is that although the company has over 80 employees, it does not have a HQ office. The following video tells more about how Sabetian works with his team.
Update: We did an online interview with Mr. Sabetian in October 2014, you can read the Q&A here.
Arvixe Hosting Plans
The organization offers numerous classes of hosting services, including personal, business, VPS, dedicated, and reseller hosting options.
Personal & Business Class (Shared) Hosting
Personal class hosting focuses on individuals looking for a cost-effective hosting option. There are two options: standard and pro which ring in at $4 or $7 per month; both offer unlimited disk space and data transfers, servers located in the United States or Europe, and a free domain name. Of course, SSL certificates, dedicated IPs, and the enhanced features come with an additional cost. Business class services, also divided into standard and Pro options, start at $22 or $35 per month, respectively, and include the same unlimited features as the Personal class, as well as a dedicated IP address and SSL certificate.
VPS and Dedicated Class Hosting
VPS standard hosting starts at $40 per month and Pro at $70 per month and includes limited (50 GB or 100 GB), unlimited monthly data transfers, a free domain, free SSL certificates, and two IP addresses. Dedicated servers come with fully (100 percent) managed servers, nightly security updates, 24/7 dedicated support, free SSL certificates and domain names, and more. Dedicated class pricing starts at $105 per month for single processor servers or $329 per month for multi processor servers.
Arvixe Uptime Review
I have got a shared hosting account at Arvixe in March 2014 and had been tracking on the hosting uptime for some time. In summary, Arvixe hosting had been doing okay so far. The following image indicates the uptime score for the past 30 days. Note that the test site was not properly that the slightly low uptime record is due to some error with my tracking. The correct uptime score should be around 99.9% if my error is neglected.
Arvixe Uptime – March 2016: 99.57%
Arvixe Uptime – February 2016: 99.49%
Arvixe Uptime – September 2015: 99.99%
Arvixe Uptime – May / June 2014: 99.43%
Arvixe offers a slew of hosting options, each with option subsets an addons.
What I Like About Arvixe Hosting
- Proven Business Record – Arvixe is a very popular hosting provider with proven longevity; it has been in business for more than a decade with a positive future ahead of it.
- Upgarding Options – The company offers a wide array of hosting choices to serve nearly any organization’s needs. In its shared, VPS, and dedicated service levels, it provides both Linux and Windows hosting.
- Valuable Addons – Arvixe is CloudFlare CDN and RVSiteBuilder ready, making creating a website easy, even for novices. All personal, business, and reseller class sites include RVSiteBuilder at no additional charge. CloudFlare comes at a low cost and accelerates website performance.
- Generous in CPU power allocation – The unlimited hosting is not truly unlimited. But that said, I noticed that Arvixe is being very generous in term of server power usage. The web host allow usage up to 700 CPU seconds, 2000MB of RAM, and 500 physical processes – which I think is not bad at all for a $4/mo web host.
- 60 -day full money back guarantee – Arvixe stands behind its service with a 60-day full money back guarantee; this is above the industry standard 30-day guarantee.
- The personal class shared hosting option is slightly more expensive than several Arvixe competitors (as you can only add 6 domain names in one account).
- The unlimited hosting is not truly unlimited; it’s only unlimited until you overuse the Arvixe CPU (which is the norm for all unlimited hosting services, learn more).
Important to know
- The company Arvixe is sold to Endurance International in 2014. Endurance International Group, aka EIG, also own a number of well-known web hosts including iPage, BlueHost, Hostgator, and A Small Orange. You can check out the full list of EIG’s hosting brands in this page.
- Update August 2015: Some Arvixe users were badly affected in recent data center migration. You can learn more about the incident here.
Verdict: So Is Arvixe Hosting Any Good?
My takeaway is that Arvixe is an okay host for small-to-middle sized websites; but likely NOT the best pick for businesses or large websites. There is quite a history of consumer complaints about the server reliability, although looking at the company’s fast growth, we do question whether those complaints are a result of rushed servers.
Special discounts available for InterServer, InMotion, and DreamHost.
And for those who are looking for a VPS hosting – check out this recently updated VPS hosting guide.
More Info/To Order
For additional information about Arvixe hosting options and pricing or to order, please visit the Arvixe website at http://www.arvixe.com/.