Quick Pick Our best cheap hosting pick in 2023 goes to Hostinger. For $1.99/mo on signup and $3.99 at renewal, you'll get a stable shared host with a free website builder, free & easy SSL installation, and built-in performance optimization.
Looking for the best and most affordable web hosting plan? The great news is that web hosting companies are now offering even more for less – making it the perfect time to make a purchase.
Our team has conducted extensive testing of over 70 web hosting services and analyzed more than 1,000 web hosting plans.
Gone are the days of expensive hosting. Today, you can get your website up and running for less than $60 per year, which is almost 50% cheaper than it was a decade ago. Yet, users enjoy more sophisticated server features with 24/7 technical support.
For those who are new or small businesses running simple websites – a cheap web hosting with free domain is highly recommended. In this article, we have identified the best cheap web hosting and present a quick review for your consideration.Read More
- Hostinger "Single" Plan starts at $1.99/mo and renews at $3.99/mo.
- Website builder and WP optimization included
- Cheap domain registration fees for selected TLDs
- 24/7 customer support via online chat and ticketing system
- Overall Hostinger ratings:
Our Thoughts on Hostinger Hosting
Hostinger is an excellent budget hosting option for those looking for an inexpensive one-stop solution - particularly for small businesses running tight on budget and beginners. Its main advantages include affordable pricing, stable server performance, global data centers a wide range of server locations, and outstanding customer support.
However, when making the buying decision, you should consider the trade-offs. This includes the limitation on server resources and renewal price hikes.
Main Benefits of Hosting with Hostinger
- Huge discount during signup, the cheapest plan "Single" starts at $1.99 per month
- Cheap registration for .XYZ, .CLOUD, .ONLINE, .SHOP domains
- Strong hosting uptime record and speed performance
Cheapest Hostinger Plans
- Introductory Price: $1.99/month (four-year commitment)
- Renewal Price: $3.99/month (four-year commitment), $4.99/month (two-year commitment), or $5.99/month (one-year commitment)
- Full-service account management with SPanel portal
- A free domain name, SSL certificate, and CDN
- Custom-built servers and self-healing cloud setup
- Managed VPS options with topnotch support
- Overall ScalaHosting ratings:
Our Thoughts on ScalaHosting
ScalaHosting starts at a highly reasonable price of $2.95, $5.95, and $9.95 per month. Their cheap shared hosting plans come with a free domain, unlimited email hosting, and free website migration support, plus a 7-day cycle of automated server backup.
Also, Scala's wide product range allows for easy upgrades to managed cloud hosting, VPS, and dedicated hosting as your website grows. If you are looking for a cheap web host with a free domain, ScalaHosting is an excellent place to start.
Like other cheap hosting providers, ScalaHosting does come with some drawbacks. Scala's prices increase upon renewal and a long-term contract is required for the low price tag.
Main Benefits of Hosting with ScalaHosting
- 7-day cycle automated daily backup for all shared hosting plans
- SShield, a built-in hosting security feature, included in all plans
- Wide range of products allows easy server upgrades in future
To learn more, read my full ScalaHosting review.
Cheapest ScalaHosting Plan
- Introductory Price: $2.95/month (one- or three-year commitment).
- Renewal Price: $6.95/month (three-year commitment), or $9.95/month (one-year commitment).
- Cheap domain and email hosting
- Host unlimited websites on the cheapest plan
- Specializes in VPS, and co-location hosting solutions
- Excellent in-house technical support
- Overall Interserver ratings:
What We Think of Interserver Hosting
I started using InterServer in 2013 and visited the company HQ in Secaucus, New Jersey in 2016. Two things we like about Interserver's cheap hosting plan:
- You don't have to subscribe for the long term to enjoy Interserver's discounted price - InterServer shared hosting plans are priced at $5 per month for 12 months subscription and $2.50 for 1 months subscription, and
- They allow users to host unlimited domains at their budget plan (most budget plans we discuss in this article allow only one domain per account)
These two factors made InterServer the easy choice when you plan to host multiple (low-traffic) websites in one account.
Main Benefits of Hosting with Interserver
- One-for-all cheap shared hosting solution
- Host unlimited domain names in one budget hosting account
- Excellent server performance record throughout the years
- Introductory Price: $2.50/mo (one- or two-year commitment)
- Renewal Price: $7.00/month (one- or two-year commitment)
4. TMD Hosting
- Reliable and long business track record (in biz for 15 years)
- Host unlimited websites on higher plans
- Free Weebly site builder and shopping cart
- Get an additional 7% off with exclusive promo code "WHSR"
- Overall TMD ratings:
Our Thoughts on TMDHosting
I've tested TMDHosting's shared hosting plan for years and my evaluation shows that this budget host performs remarkably well for its price. Key advantages of hosting with TMD include excellent server performance, choice of six hosting locations, exceptional customer support, and an additional 7% discount using the coupon code "WHSR".
However before you signup - do take note of the trade-offs between the introductory discount and price hike after the first term, as well as some auto-backup feature limitations.
Main Benefits of Hosting with TMD Hosting
- Additional 7% discount when you apply our exclusive promo code "WHSR"
- A wide range of products allows easy server upgrades in future
- Excellent live-chat customer support based on our experience
Cheapest TMD Hosting Plan
- Introductory Price: $2.99/month (one-year commitment)
- Renewal Price: $9.99/month (any yearly subscription)
* Note: Use promo code "WHSR" to enjoy an additional 7% discount when you order TMD Hosting.
- 300% eco-friendly web hosting (industry’s top)
- Easy-to-navigate cPanel integration
- Free domain name for the first year
- Free site migration for new customers
- Overall GreenGeeks ratings:
Our Thoughts on GreenGeeks Hosting
As a technology geek who still hopes to have Earth (and the life on it) around for quite some time more, I appreciate GreenGeeks' eco-friendliness. The excellent server speed performance that GreenGeeks servers have shown in our tests and the easy Let's Encrypt free SSL management is nothing but aces.
On the other hand, however, the hefty renewal fee is a big turn-off. Overall, we think that GreenGeeks is an affordable web host which would do admirably with anything from a blog all the way even to a small business. In fact, I think it’s an ideal place for a beginner to host their site, given the facilities, pricing, and resources available.
Main Benefits of GreenGeeks Hosting Services
- Easy SSL installation and management
- 300% environmentally friendly hosting services
GreenGeek's Cheapest Plan
- Introductory Price: $2.95/month (one-year commitment)
- Renewal Price: $10.95/month (any yearly subscription)
6. InMotion Hosting
- 90 days money back guarantee
- Free SSL certificates auto-installed in all plans
- Cheap web hosting service with free domain
- Zero-downtime website transfers and migrations
- Overall InMotion ratings:
Our Thoughts on InMotion Hosting
InMotion Hosting is old-school, reliable, feature-rich, and affordable. Their cheapest shared server hosting plan - named "Core", starts at $2.29 per month. It allows users to host two websites and comes with a free domain, SSH access, PHP 8 support, site backup and restore, full support in Cron and Ruby, and 10 email addresses. unlimited server bandwidth, as well as hack & malware protection. What's more - if you are a new user, folks at InMotion will help migrate your site for free.
InMotion Hosting does not offer the cheapest price in town, but they are the best hosting provider overall based on my experience. I use InMotion Hosting personally and have collected years of record in InMotion Hosting uptime and speed test.
Main Benefits of InMotion's Cheap Hosting
- Host two websites in InMotion's cheapest plan (most cheap hosting providers only allow one)
- Hack and malware protection supported in all shared plans
- A wide range of products allows easy server upgrades in future
To find out more, please check out my full review on InMotion Hosting.
InMotion Hosting Cost
- Introductory Price: $2.49/month (three-year commitment).
- Renewal Price: $8.99/month (three-year commitment), $9.49/month (two-year commitment), or $9.99/month (one-year commitment).
7. A2 Hosting
- Optimized for 20x faster page loads
- Host unlimited websites and free website migration support
- Optimized plugins and 1-click installs for WP
- Pre-installed OPcache and Memcached caching
- Overall A2 Hosting ratings:
Our Thoughts on A2 Hosting
Reasonable pricing, excellent server performance, and powerful hosting features – A2 Hosting checks all the right boxes that are necessary for a stable and fast website. The company comes with an impressive array of features - including the latest NVMe storage and pre-installed caching mechanism, even in their budget plan. Based on our test records, their server consistently showed outstanding performance.
Other key advantages include an anytime money-back guarantee, free website migration for first-time users, server locations in North America, Europe, and Asia, and a specialized shared hosting platform for Node.js developers.
Like all other web hosting solutions, A2 Hosting comes with certain drawbacks: Site migration is chargeable during downgrades, expensive renewal fees, and the Turbo plan does not support Ruby/Python. Remember to consider these shortcomings and compare them with other listed budget web hosts before you subscribe to A2 Hosting.
Main Benefits of Hosting with A2Hosting
- NVMe storage and pre-built caching mechanism in all servers
- Outstanding server performance throughout the years
A2 Hosting Plan & Fees
- Introductory Price: $2.99/month (one-year commitment)
- Renewal Price: $11.99/month (any yearly subscription)
- A popular choice among bloggers - officially recommended by WordPress.org
- Full product range - upgrade to VPS and dedicated hosting in future
- Comprehensive self-help documents and video tutorials
- A free domain name, SSL certificate, and CDN
- Overall BlueHost ratings:
Our Thoughts on BlueHost
Bluehost entered the web hosting market in 2003 and has been going strong since then. The Provo, Utah-based company is well-recognized today and hosts over two million websites.
Unlike many other companies in today's hosting space, Bluehost does not officially disclose where their servers are hosted. Aside from a likely presence in Utah, little is really known and there are no options to select a location on sign-up.
BlueHost customer support is available via live chat, phone, and a ticketing system. Should you need more specialized assistance, Bluehost also has marketing consultants who can work with you on your business needs.
Main Benefits of Hosting with BlueHost
- Comprehensive self-help documents and video tutorials
BlueHost's Best Value Plans
- Introductory Price: $2.95/month (one-year commitment)
- Renewal Price: $9.99/month (three-year commitment), $9.99/month (two-year commitment), or $10.99/month (one-year commitment)
- Free 30-minute one-on-one coaching
- 75% discount when signup for 3 years
- 1-click WordPress installs and software updates
- Support for popular shopping carts with free SSL certificate
- Overall HostPapa ratings:
Our Thoughts on HostPapa
My experience with HostPapa's hosting service started back in 2017. Their reliable servers, eco-friendly practices, and affordable price points make it an attractive option for those seeking cheap domain and email hosting.
There are, however, several disadvantages to consider before signing up: Limited server locations (Canada only), expensive renewal costs, aggressive upsells, and pricey VPS hosting solutions are among the key deal-breakers.
Main Benefits of HostPapa Low-Cost Hosting
- Free 30-minute one-on-one coaching included
HostPapa Hosting Plans
- Introductory Price: $2.95/month (three-year commitment), $3.95/month (two-year commitment), or $24.95/month (one-year commitment)
- Renewal Price: $11.99/month (any annual subscription)
- Choice of 10 server locations
- Auto malware scanning & daily backup
- 45 days money back guarantee
- Generous server resources offer - Lowest plan able to accommodate up to 25,000 visits per month
- Overall FastComet ratings:
Our Thoughts on FastComet Hosting
FastComet is a rare gem in the hosting world. With a long list of useful features, affordable price tags, and a choice of 10 server locations - the web hosting fits the requirement for both new and developed websites.
However, their basic shared hosting plans lack caching mechanisms, and private DNS is unavailable for FastCloud users. Further, the company broke its price lock guarantee back in 2017 - which is a big turn-off for many.
Main Benefits of FastComet's Cheap Hosting
- Support up to 25,000 visits per month on the lowest hosting plan.
FastComet Plans & Pricing
- Introductory Price: $2.19/month (any annual subscription)
- Renewal Price: $10.95/month (any annual subscription)
Key Features to Consider in a Cheap Hosting Service
To recap, here are our top low-cost hosting picks and their cheapest offer.
|Web Host||Cheapest Plan||Overall Ratings|
The term "best" is always relative when it comes to web hosting. The best cheap web host listed here may be best for me, but it might not be suitable for you. To pick a web host that best fits the needs of your website, be sure to understand the requirements of your website.
Also, while the affordable price tag matters, there are also a number of factors we consider when selecting these budget hosting services on our list. In case you are in need of an affordable web host and prefer to choose yourself, here are the crucial factors to look into.
Web hosting - regardless of its pricing, should come with sufficient server resources to keep your site available at all times.
An unstable web host affects your website user experience and Google rankings badly. This is why we emphasize so much on web hosting uptime and server response rate in our hosting reviews. No one should host their sites on a slow and unstable web host.
Some budget hosting companies tend to overload their capacity and host way too many websites on one server and this often leads to a slow server response rate and frequent hosting downtime.
When searching for a cheap hosting plan - we look for providers that guarantee at least 99.9% hosting uptime and show reliable uptime in our server tests.
When you have signed up for a new hosting account, make sure you:
- Track your site uptime with a third-party tool like Uptime Robot.
- Test your server response rate (by looking at time-to-first-byte readings) using Webpage Test or Bitcatcha.
If your host performs badly, do not hesitate to ask for a refund and move to another hosting provider.
Budget web hosts usually differentiate their services by filling up extra goodies into their offers. These include:
- Free domain name registration
- Free website migration services
- Easy SSL installation
- Advanced security features
- Email hosting
- An easy installer for popular scripts
- The latest version of PHP and MySQL
- Built-in server speed optimization
- Good after-sales support
Hostinger, for example, offers free site migration support. All you need to do is to file your website transfer request after signup, and their support staff will help you to move your websites for free.
Another example is GreenGeeks. While most hosting companies allow users to install their free Let's Encrypt SSL certificates on their own, the process can be challenging without tools provided by hosting companies.
To differentiate itself from other budget hosting providers, Greengeeks offers an easy manage free SSL tool that allows you to install, update, and remove your free SSL certificates in just a few clicks.
To cut operation costs, some cheap hosting companies run on outsourced customer support teams and often fail to support their customers swiftly. The slow response times are not always due to a lack of caring. In some cases, cheap hosts simply don’t have enough technical staff members to attend to customers' support requests.
Sadly, there is not much we can do with a hosting company that runs on poor after-sales support.
For newbies who need extra support, it is best to avoid hosting companies with bad support. Talk with the support department before you place your order, ask related technical questions (such as inode limits, CPU cycles, Ruby on Rails, etc), and judge their quality based on the responses.
Scalability in web hosting refers to the capacity of your hosting plan to accommodate growth in your website’s traffic over time.
For beginners, it is best to start with a low-cost shared hosting plan - they are usually the cheapest and easy to maintain. However, as your website grows or if your business expands, you may need bigger and better server resources such as bandwidth, storage space, backup capacity, advanced technical support, or other specific functionalities.
A good hosting provider should offer an easy upgrade path from a lower-tier plan to a higher one, such as transitioning from low-cost shared hosting to a VPS or dedicated hosting. This ensures that your website can continue to perform optimally even as your requirements increase.
While web hosting companies offer enticing cheap prices, they often come with a catch: long-term contracts. To enjoy the low hosting fees, customers are often required to sign up for a lengthy contract, sometimes spanning years.
This can be problematic for those wanting to switch providers or requiring more flexibility in the future. Additionally, these hosting contracts typically require a large upfront payment - which defies the purpose of choosing a low-cost hosting solution in the first place.
Of course, long-term contracts can also offer certain benefits. You get to lock your hosting fees and better plan your expenses better plan their expenses. Additionally, long-term customers may receive better support and assistance from their hosting provider - as they are seen as more valuable clients.
It's essential to carefully evaluate the true cost and implications of a long-term commitment before signing up with a cheap hosting provider.
Almost every web hosting company includes some kind of money-back guarantee to give users a chance to experience the host first-hand before committing. The time periods for money-back guarantees vary for different companies - some offer just 14 days trial period while some go all the way to 90 days.
If you ask for your money to be returned a refund during the money-back guarantee period, you should be able to see your full payment returned – though the refund process is not always easy with some web hosting companies.
Understanding Cheap Web Hosting
Definition of Cheap Web Hosting
Cheap web hosting refers to web hosting services that cost less than $5 per month. Based on our recent study on 1,000 hosting plans, the reasonable price to host a simple website is between $2.51 to $4.63 per month.
How Companies Can Offer Cheap Hosting Deals?
Although energy prices and server hardware prices have inflated a lot post-pandemic, entry-level web hosting prices have not changed much overall.
The web hosting business is incredibly competitive. Many hosting providers often offer ultra-cheap deals to win new customers. To keep their prices low and customers happy, hosting companies utilize a business model known as "shared hosting".
In shared hosting, multiple websites are hosted on a single server, sharing resources such as CPU, memory, and disk space. This cost-effective setup allows the hosting company to spread the server costs among many customers, which significantly reduces the price for each.
Potential Drawbacks of Cheap Web Hosts
While the "cheap shared hosting model" may sound appealing, sharing server resources can lead to various issues, including slower website performance and bad customer support. Therefore, when shopping for a low-cost hosting service, it's important to consider not only the price but also other factors. (more about this below).
Additionally, some hosting companies might offer lower initial prices but charge higher renewal rates or extra for crucial features. Take for example the case of the cheapest hosting plan that SiteGround offers. New customers are offered a buy-in at only $6.69 but the plan renews at an eye-watering $24.99 per month.
To avoid cheap hosting companies with questionable pricing policies, you are recommended to read the Terms of Services (ToS) and check out genuine hosting reviews before purchasing.
One way to quickly learn about a company's ToS is by visiting the host’s ToS page, pressing Ctrl + F, searching for keywords like ‘cancellation’ and ‘refund’, and finding out if the company has clear cancellation and refund policy. Some web hosting companies may charge $20 - $30 for domain registration and SSL certificate fees during cancellation - which is acceptable; but anything more than that is a no-go.
3 Alternatives to Cheap Web Hosting Plans
Alternative #1: Free Web Hosting
Although relatively rare, there are free web hosting offers like 000Webhost that come with subdomains (ie. mydomain.000webhost.com) that you can use to create and run a website for zero cost.
It is the cheapest way to host a website online as they cost literally $0.
However, bear in mind that free hosting comes with various limitations and risks. If you are serious about your site - we strongly recommend to you go with a budget web hosting provider instead.
To learn more, read our free web hosting guide - in which we discuss issues with free hosting, and recommend a list of free hosting sites.
Cheap Shared vs Free Hosting
|Free Web Hosting||Cheap Web Hosting|
|Ease of use||User-friendly||User-friendly|
|Reliability||Lower uptime||Better uptime|
|Ads and branding||Intrusive ads||No ads|
|Scalability||Less suitable||Greater potential|
|Top Choices||Awardspace, 000WebHost||Hostinger, TMD Hosting|
Alternative #2: Website Builder
A website builder is often compared with cheap hosting services as both solutions are newbies-friendly. Website builders, such as Wix or Weebly, offer a one-stop solution to create and host your website without any coding experience. You can just buy a domain name, connect it to the Website Builder platform, pick a ready-made template, and your website is good to go.
However, a website builder comes with four major disadvantages:
Website Builders usually cost 100% - 250% more than traditional shared hosting services. For example, Wix Unlimited Plan and Weebly cost $12.50 and $12.00 per month respectively. In contrast, Hostinger's Premium plan, equivalent to the website builder plan, costs just $2.99 per month.
Using a website builder means you’re limited to what the provider has to offer. You might want a certain template for your website but if the website builder doesn’t support it, you’ll have to choose something else.
Dependence on one provider
If the provider closes down, then your site goes down it. Ideally, the website builder that you opt for will remain in the long run. Also, some providers do not allow their users to move their websites away.
When you go for website builders, you won’t have control over the location of the data. It’s up to the providers where they choose to store information. A good web hosting provider, on the other, usually runs their operations from multiple data centers in different locations.
To learn more, here is the list of website builder platforms we recommend.
Alternative #3: Expensive Premium Hosting Plans
An expensive premium web host often comes with enhanced features that can be beneficial for larger businesses, websites with high traffic, or those requiring advanced security or specific technical needs.
If your website meets one of the following conditions, it might be worth investing more and looking beyond low-cost hosting options.
High Traffic Volume
If your website attracts a substantial amount of traffic, a premium cloud or VPS hosting plan can offer more bandwidth and superior performance, ensuring your site can handle the influx without crashing or slowing down.
For eCommerce sites, server uptime, speed, and security are crucial. Premium dedicated hosting often includes stronger security measures, faster loading times, and a higher uptime guarantee, which can greatly impact your site's user experience and, in turn, your business.
Websites with complex structures, large databases, or a vast amount of high-resolution media files can benefit from the enhanced storage capacity and processing power that premium hosting offers.
Need for Special Customization or Compliances
If you need root access to customize server settings or to meet industry compliance (ie. HIPAA-complaint), a premium hosting plan such as VPS or dedicated hosting would be a better choice.
Final Thoughts: Look Beyond the Price Tags
The cheapest hosting deal might not be the best for you. Also, "best" is always a relative term. There is never a fixed solution to one's web hosting needs. When searching for an affordable hosting solution, your ultimate goal should be finding the "Cheap Web Hosting" that is best for your websites.
FAQs about Cheap Web Hosting
Cheap web hosting refers to web hosting services that offer website storage, bandwidth, and related features at a low cost. These services allow users to make their websites accessible on the internet without incurring significant expenses. Based on our recent study on 1,000 hosting plans, the average price of a cheap web host ranges between $2.51 to $4.63 per month.
Google, hosting review sites, or web hosting forums are some of the common places where you can find great cheap hosting deals. When searching for a cheap web host, your ultimate focus should be finding the low-cost hosting solution that fits your website. To achieve this goal, you need to understand clearly what you need from your web host.
There are many reasons why some hosting plans are so cheap:
1. Some hosting plans are cheap simply because only a few critical features are offered, or
2. Some companies run on outsourced customer support teams to cut operation costs (and often fail to support their customers swiftly), or
3. Some companies pack lots of accounts onto one server (overselling), or
4. Some companies have accumulated a very large customer base and achieved economy of scale, or
5. Some companies run their own hardware and data centers - hence lower operating costs in the long term.
Cheap web hosting often differs from more expensive options in terms of resources, features, and performance. While cheap hosting may be sufficient for small, low-traffic websites, it may lack the power and scalability required for larger, high-traffic sites. More expensive hosting options usually offer more resources, better performance, and more control.
When selecting a cheap web hosting provider, it's essential to consider factors such as reliability, uptime, customer support, scalability, and available features. Make sure to read reviews and compare different providers to ensure that you're getting the best value for your money.
Yes if you don't mind your website comes in a long subdomain address (ie. mydomain.000webhost.com) for $0. Although relatively rare, there are free web hosting offers like 000Webhost that you can use to host a website for zero cost. There are, however, various limitations and risks involved with free hosting - if you can afford to pay $3 - $10 per month, I strongly recommend you to go with a budget web hosting service instead.
Common drawbacks of cheap web hosting services include limited resources, slower performance, and less robust customer support. Additionally, some low-cost hosting plans may have hidden fees or may require you to sign up for a long-term contract to secure the advertised price.
Providers like Wix and 000Webhost offer free plans. However, many top web hosts also offer trial periods on reasonably-priced shared hosting and we recommend you try both to see the difference.
Most cheap web hosting providers offer the option to upgrade your hosting plan as your website grows and requires more resources. Upgrading to a higher-tier plan can provide you with additional storage, bandwidth, and features, ensuring that your website continues to perform optimally as your needs evolve.
Reseller web hosting is a business model where large hosting companies allow their clients to rent and sell their server infrastructure to end users. GreenGeeks, ScalaHosting, ChemiCloud, and HostPapa are some of the companies that offer reseller hosting plans.
Some popular cheap web hosting providers include Bluehost, Hostinger, A2 Hosting, and DreamHost. Each provider offers a range of affordable hosting plans, but they differ in terms of performance, features, and customer support. Be sure to check out our cheap web hosting selections to find the one that best suits your needs and budget.
Hostinger WordPress Hosting costs $1.99 per month and offers 30 GB SSD storage; NameCheap, costs ~$2.07 per month and offers 10 GB SSD storage. Both are cheap and strong choices if you are looking for an affordable WordPress host. You can check out Hostinger WP Hosting plans and pricing here; NameCheap plans and pricing here.