My story with HostPapa
I had some good experience with HostPapa in 2010 – the server was always up and running; and the cost was ultra cheap. Nevertheless, I left HostPapa after my charity project ended and never look back. Until recently.
In December 2016, I did an interview with the company founder, Jamie Opalchuk. It was an interesting session. Mr. Jamie was very helpful, very knowledgeable, and transparent with his company operations. I decided that I wanted to learn more about HostPapa and promote their service if things are right.
Hence, a new test site was setup on HostPapa Business Pro (shared hosting plan). I am going to share with you my experience with HostPapa and tell you what I like and dislike about the company in this review.
Founded in 2006 by Jamie Opalchuk, HostPapa, an Ontario-based web hosting company, provides small businesses, web designers, and resellers with a number of web solutions.
Those solutions include shared web hosting, virtual private server (VPS) hosting plans for small businesses, a drag-and-drop website builder, and a powerful multi-site reseller option for designers and IT firms.
The company states that the goal is to give every customer the full-featured hosting packages they are looking for, backed by excellent customer service. HostPapa was named 27th Annual PROFIT 500 Ranking of Canada’s Fastest Growing Companies last year.
HostPapa Shared & VPS Hosting Plans
At price of $3.95/mo, HostPapa users get unlimited disk storage, bandwidth, databases,and email accounts as well as one-click installation supports, latest PHP and MySQL versions, basic SSL supports, and so on. In short, HostPapa what most other budget shared hosting providers are offering.
You can find out more about Hostpapa hosting plans in tables below; or simply visit HostPapa online at https://www.hostpapa.com/ for official information.
Message from Dave Price, HostPapa Marketing Director
We are not the same company we were a couple years ago. The infrastructure is upgraded/enhanced for better performance, the support channels are even stronger, we offer 30 minute free private sessions to help customers on a topic they want help with in addition to the 24/7 support in 4 languages via chat, ticket, and phone, plus we now have incredible VPS offerings, etc.
HostPapa Shared Hosting Plans
|Disk Storage||100 GB||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|HostPapa Website Builder||Starter Edition||Starter Edition||Unlimited Edition|
|Wildcard SSL||+ $69.99/year||+ $69.99/year||Free|
HostPapa Managed VPS Hosting* Plans
|RAM||1.5 GB||3 GB||6 GB||12 GB||24 GB|
|SSD Storage||50 GB||100 GB||200 GB||500 GB||1 TB|
|Data Transfer||1 TB||2 TB||2 TB||4 TB||8 TB|
|Signup Price (First Month)||$19.99/mo||$39.99/mo||$109.99/mo||$149.99/mo||$249.99/mo|
* Note: It’s important to note that HostPapa is offering managed VPS hosting. Meaning they will take care most of the issues with your servers, including security audit, network issues, software upgrades, migration, and firewall setup. You will have to take care of these issues with many other cheap VPS hosting solutions.
#1 Thing I like about HostPapa: Big package, small signup price
There are many things that I like about HostPapa shared hosting plan.
First of all, you can get a lot for a little money.
The Starter plan starts at $3.95 a month and allows you to host two websites.
It gives you 100GB of disk space, unlimited bandwidth, and a free domain. You also get 100 email accounts and over 200 free apps, access to the starter version of the drag-and-drop website builder, and get excellent speed and security. All these at the price less than a cup of Starbucks coffee.
HostPapa Price vs Others
|Host||Price||Learn More||Web Host||Price||Learn More|
Other things I like about HostPapa hosting services
- 99.9% Uptime Guarantee HostPapa users are protected by service level agreement (SLA) where the company guarantee 99.9% uptime to all of their shared hosting users.
- Reputable company with good business track record HostPapa is Better Business Bureau accredited since 13/8/2010 and A+ rated (at time of writing).
- Green hosting service that does not break your wallet The fact that environmental sustainability and service affordability went hand in hand with HostPapa is something remarkable. Hostpapa is one of the cheapest green hosting services available in market. To compare, GreenGeeks costs $4.95/mo and Hostgator costs $7.95/mo for similar package.
- Responsive live chat support I spoke a few times with HostPapa live chat support staffs in the past and was very happy with their performance. My inquiries were responded very quickly and the support staffs were all very helpful . Refer to image below for my recent chat transcript where I named myself “J”.
- Huge room for expansions and upgrades I like the fact that there are five VPS and reseller hosting plans to choose from. Having the options to upgrade and expand your hosting server is important.
HostPapa Chat Transcript (May 30th, 2017)
HostPapa Uptime Record
How HostPapa “green” hosting works?
In case you wonder – HostPapa has taken the initiative of going green since year 2006 by buying renewable energy to power their servers and office.
No, the company does not have a wind turbine or a solar panel farm on top of the data center.
What HostPapa does is that the company buy renewable energy certificates to offset their power usage.
After an energy audit by a third-party provider (Green-e.org, for example) to calculate Hostpapa electrical energy consumption from traditional sources, HostPapa purchased “green energy tags” from a certified clean energy supplier. That supplier calculates the total energy consumption of Hostpapa operations – from hosting websites to office admin works, and uses their suppliers of green energy to pump in 100% equivalent energy back into the power grid.
This effectively cuts down on the carbon dioxide-producing (CO2) energy that we normally would have required from non-green energy sources.
Expensive renewal fees
Budget hosting companies often pull down their signup price to attract new customers. Same goes with HostPapa – you will have to pay a much higher rate – $9.99/$14.99/$24.99/mo for Starter, Business, and Business Pro.
Do I recommend HostPapa? Yes. I especially like their low signup price and feature-rich shared hosting plans.
But is HostPapa the best web host in market? I would probably say no. The expensive renewal price and below 99.9% uptime record is an issue for now. I will keep tracking and update this review in future.
If for some reason you want your website to be hosted in Canada, then HostPapa is definitely one of the best choices.