YouTube is one of the most popular websites for watching videos online. As of November 2022 the site received around 75 billion visits worldwide. This popularity makes it a great platform to watch videos, but what if you want to take them with you?
Luckily, there’s an easy and free way to convert YouTube videos into MP3 files. Not only will this make it easier for you to store and access your favorite music, but you’ll also be able to listen without watching a video – which saves time and bandwidth. YouTube also doesn’t support music listening outside the app, so converting your videos to MP3 is the only way to do it.
In this article, we’ll explain how simple it is to convert YouTube videos into MP3 files on mobile and desktop.
Benefits of Converting YouTube Videos to MP3 Files
Converting YouTube videos to MP3 files provides a host of benefits –
- High-quality audio: Converting YouTube videos to MP3 files ensures that your audio is high quality, as it won’t be compressed like most streaming services.
- Easy access: Once converted, you can store the MP3 file on your computer or smartphone for easy access.
- Portability: You can take your audio files with you wherever you are, so you can listen to them on the go.
- Cost-effective: Converting YouTube videos to MP3 costs nothing and is much cheaper than buying songs from a music store or streaming service.
Converting YouTube Videos to MP3 on Mobile
If you’re one of those people who spend most of their time on the go, you’re probably using your phone more than any other device. 63% of YouTube watch time comes from mobile users. Luckily, there is a seamless process to help you convert YouTube videos into MP3 files in seconds.
1. Find a YouTube to MP3 Converter Site
The first step is to find a reliable YouTube to MP3 converter site such as Y2Mate or AceThinker. These sites can be found through any browser, such as Google Chrome and Safari.
When selecting a YouTube to MP3 converter, several factors must be considered. To begin with, you should evaluate the tool's speed of conversion, batch downloading capability, security standards, ease of use, and price.
Consider how many videos need to be converted – if it’s only one or two, then an online tool will likely suffice, but if you need more frequent conversions, then a mobile application may be the better option.
2. Copy the URL of the Video you Want to Convert
If you’re using a browser, open the YouTube video you want to convert and copy its URL. If you’re using a converter app, search for the video on YouTube within the application.
Or, if you're using the YouTube app, the process will be a bit different. Tap the share button right under the video and click “Copy Link.” Then, the link will be copied to your clipboard, ready to go!
3. Paste and convert
Head back over to your browser and paste the link you just copied into the URL field, then click “Start,” “Convert,” or “Download” – depending on what your app says.
Once the video is converted, you can download it to your device – simply tap “Download” and choose where to save it. Depending on the app or website you use (such as Y2Mate in this example), other options may also be available, including quality and file size.
If you’re on iPhone, a pop-up asking if you want to download the file to your phone will show up. Click “Download,” and the file will end up in your downloads folder. Click on the icon in your URL bar to get to the folder. Click on the file and save it to your Files app.
Converting YouTube Videos to MP3 on Desktop
If you don’t want the file downloaded to your phone, there are plenty of desktop programs that can help you convert YouTube videos to MP3.
1. Pick a YouTube to MP3 Converter
You’ll want to employ the same considerations that we discussed for mobile. Get onto a browser and search for a YouTube to MP3 converter. Weigh the pros and cons of each converter and evaluate all the qualities it has.
Some popular tools include VideoSolo Video Converter Ultimate, ToMP3, or even Y2Mate.
2. Copy the URL of the Video You Want to Convert
3. Paste and Convert
Is It Legal to Convert YouTube Videos to MP3 Files?
Before you jump right in and start downloading a video converter software or using a service, you might wonder what’s legal and what isn’t when converting YouTube videos into MP3 files.
The short answer is that it depends on the type of content you’re downloading and the purpose of use. Generally speaking, it’s not legal to convert YouTube videos to MP3 files if they contain copyrighted material such as music or movies.
However, if the video is created by an individual or a company that has given permission for their work to be used in this way, then it is perfectly legal.
So how do you know which videos are safe to convert? Fortunately, YouTube does its best to ensure that copyrighted material is not used without permission. Any videos with a copyright warning will be flagged, and the user who uploads them will be notified. If you come across any such videos, then it’s best to avoid converting them into MP3 files.
Recommended YouTube to MP3 Sites and Apps
There are several different websites and apps that offer the ability to convert YouTube videos into MP3 files. Some of these include:
- MP3FY – This easy-to-use tool allows you to convert YouTube videos to MP3 and MP4. All you need to do is paste the URL and download the file. And what’s more, you can even download videos that aren’t available in your country. Its built-in search functionality is convenient too, letting you search up the video right there and then.
- YTop1 – Ready to convert YouTube videos to MP3 in no time at all? This simple converter site allows you to convert videos of up to 10 hours in length on any platform – Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and more. It’s most loved for its non-existent ads.
- EaseUS Video Downloader – This highly trusted YouTube to MP3 converter is great for extracting high-quality audio from YouTube and downloading 360p to 8K videos from Vimeo, Instagram, and 1000+ websites.
- Freemake – If bulk downloads and high speeds are calling your name, Freemake is the platform for you. The multi-thread download technology can convert multiple YouTube videos at high speed, and their search functionality can scan YouTube for tracks, artists, and albums.
- iTubeGo – The only paid downloader on our list (with a free plan), iTubeGo offers a YouTube to MP3 functionality but also the opportunity to cut audio and video down in case there is any dead air or areas of the audio you don’t want in your file. There are four pricing plans, a lifetime plan ($29.95/1PC), 1-month plan ($9.95/1PC), 1-year plan ($19.95/1PC), and a family plan ($39.95 lifetime/2-5PCs).
Choose a Conversion Method That Fits Your Lifestyle
By following the steps outlined above, you can now easily convert any YouTube video into an MP3 file on your mobile device. This process is achievable with both browser-based converters and dedicated apps, so choose whichever one best suits your needs.
Remember that it’s important to select a reliable tool for this task, as not all offer secure downloads and conversions. Additionally, check out the options available – such as quality settings – before downloading the converted file.
Once you’ve got the process down, you can start downloading and converting all your favorite YouTube videos with ease!