If you’re like most businesses, you’ve questioned social media and online marketing efforts. Maybe you saw a benefit, but how in the world are you actually supposed to know if it’s working?
Social media, SEO, and online marketing are all game changers in the world of marketing, and rightly so. If you’ve heard it once you’ve probably heard it 1,000 times, consumers don’t want just the one-way conversation that traditional advertising channels provide, they want conversation.
But how do you measure “conversation”?
How do you know if the time you are investing in building community is actually affecting your bottom line? You’re in luck, as soon as online marketing and social media were deemed the next generation of marketing channels, developers, marketers, and analytics teamed up to provide a myriad of tools to gauge and track your online efforts.
The following list is by no means conclusive, but it showcases some of the best options, both paid and free, that you can use to monitor your online efforts.
Of all the tools on the list, this is by far my favorite. Used by both agencies and in-house professional alike, this is an incredibly powerful solution to not only tracking your online presence, but building it as well.
- Integrates with Google Analytics and Google Adwords – In other words, you don’t have to scrap what you are already doing. Raven Tools allows you to increase the effectiveness of your current tracking process.
- Simple, intuitive dashboard and tools.
- Read-only user access – This is great for your team to know what’s going on while making sure nothing is adversely altered.
- White-labeling options.
- Simple reporting.
- Manage SEO, PPC, Social Media and more.
SEOmoz is an all-in-one SEO and Social Media tracking software. A clean interface with accents to call statistics to your attention, this is a great tool for those looking for a little help planning their SEO strategy.
- Great resources: including support questions, advanced online marketing guides, and discounts on SEOmoz seminars.
- Weekly Crawls: keeps working in the background and will notify you of anything that goes astray.
- Competitive Analysis.
- On-Page Recommendations.
Two of my favorite acronyms: DIY and SEO. This tool is great if you are a small business and have the means to tackle your own online marketing or even if you are a large company and prefer to track your progress in-house rather than hiring an agency. They also offer a plan in which they will help you get your strategy on mark.
- Step-by-step, customized action plans
- Competitive Analysis
- Partnership opportunities – white label, affiliate, co-branded.
This software/online tool is great for agencies! Not only do they have a wide variety of tools that aptly track your online efforts, they offer white labeling, customized reporting, and an affiliate program.
- Free account: no time limit, no credit card required.
- Web-accessed SEO Reports.
- Link Building, Site Optimization, and Visibility Monitoring Tools.
Authority Labs is scalable so it works great for both small and large agencies and businesses. The system is incredibly intuitive and provides a plethora of information in easy to read reporting.
- Simple Domain Setup.
- Group and Sync Domains.
- Competitive Analysis.
- Multiple Access Levels – manage which employees can access which information. Perfect for account managers, interns, and clients.
- White labeling.
Teamed up with one of the top customer relationship management tools, Radian 6 is a powerhouse. Everything you could possible need or want in an online monitoring tool can be found in this software.
- Outstanding Customer Service.
- Access to a multitude of resources.
- Mobile Friendly.
- Community Management.
- Intuitive Dashboard.
While Hootsuite is thought predominately as a way to manage social networks and not as much to monitor and track the analytics, the program does offer both options. If you are already using Hootsuite, it sometimes works best to keep everything in one program.
- Free Plan.
- Customizable Analytics Reports.
- Integrates Google Analytics and Facebook Insights.
- Customizable Levels of Access.
- Mobile App Friendly.
Similar to Hootsuite, this is an all-in-one marketing software. HubSpot is a leader in the industry and has a phenomenal team that not only help you understand their software, they help you understand online marketing.
- All-in-One Software: provides assistance from the launch of your site through your arrival as an online powerhouse.
- Blogging Content Assistance.
- Lead Generation Tools.
- Easily Syncs with CRMs.
You may also want to check out a few other blogs regarding the topic: Klout (social media influence) and Twitter tools. Have any other tools that you live and die by? I’d love to hear which one is your tool of choice and why.