Picking up a good domain name for business is never an easy job.
First you need to be creative enough to come up with something brandable; secondly, with the SEO and marketing factor kick in, your domain name has to be business relevant; and last but not least, even you have passed thru the first two stages, you’ll still have the world to compete with – your specially-crafted domain name might be registered by someone else!
Quick tips for domain name searchers
So, in case you’re troubled by words and undecided for a domain names, here are the tips you might find handy.
- Name your website using your association name. Example: Sony.com, DishNetwork.com, and HushPuppies.com.
- Generic names are cool but most of them are reserved by domain registrant. So unless you have a fat wallet and willing to spend thousands for just a domain name, you can forget about registering single word (or phrases) as your domain name. Example: HostingServiceWeb.com in GoDaddy’s stock cost $2,088 at the time of writing.
- Avoid hyphenated domain names. They look spammy most of the time in Search Engine’s eyes and hard to be remembered by users.
- Consider varies TLDs when the “.com” and “.net” if your desired domain names are taken. Example: WebHostingSecretRevealed.com is taken; try WebHostingSecretRevealed.biz. ;)
- Both short and long domain names have their pros and cons. Short domains are easier to remember and easier to be ‘branded’; long domain names on the other hand may consist of more keywords. Search engines will use the keywords of a domain as part of their ranking factor -thus benefiting keyword-riched long domain names.
- Using domain name tools help sometimes – try MakeWords, Dot-o-mator, and NameBoy.
- Think ‘FUN’ and think outside the box. Sometimes, your sense of humor is your best friend when if comes to picking up the right domain name – remember D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y.com?
Well, choosing a domain may not be as simple as perceived but it doesn’t have to be such a grueling challenge either. I hope things are easier when you apply tips above.
Search for an domain name
To check wether if your desired domain name is already taken, try search: