Is your Quora advertising hitting a conversion wall?
If “yes,” you’re in luck because this article will help you tear down that wall.
Quora boasts over 300 million visitors every month. But you’d need effective advertising to turn those users into loyal customers.
I’ll show you how to boost your ad conversion on Quora in five actionable ways.
Let’s get to it.
Table of Content
- Research your audience
- Create Ads targeting relevant questions
- Use relevant keywords for topic targeting
- Attract visitors with promoted answers
- Choose appropriate campaign settings and track your conversions
1. Research Your Audience
Find your target audience on Quora before launching an ad. The platform lets you see if your audience is on Quora before you even start running ads.
So you can decide earlier on if Quora Ads will work for your business or not based on actual data from the most reliable audience sources—your audience data.
Add Quora Pixel to Your Site
Set up a Quora for Business account. But don’t jump straight into creating ads.
Follow these steps instead:
In the top navigation, find and click the Pixels and Events tab.
Click the Setup Pixel button.
You’ll have two Quora pixel installation options from the popup that follows.
In the first option, you’d install the Quora pixel on your website with their step-by-step guide. The second option lets you install Quora on a partner platform, like the Google Tag Manager.
Follow Quora’s step-by-step guide in that popup to install the pixel on your website if you prefer that option. Or follow the guide here to install the pixel with Google Tag Manager.
Create Your Audience
Add an Audience to help Quora target your ads better once you’ve added the Quora Pixel to your website.
Proceed to gather your ideal audience by clicking on ‘Audiences’ on your Quora Ads homepage.
Click the Create Audience button in the middle of the page.
You can create your audience from three sources.
- Website Traffic: You’d create your audience based on your website’s traffic
- Lookalike Audiences: Build your audience list based on an existing audience
- List Match: Use an existing contact list to build an audience
If you create your audience through List Match, you might get a message like the below:
What you can do is follow the advice and fix your CSV data.
Then, when the document is uploaded, Quora will calculate the compatibility size of your list with Quora’s audience. If your match rate is high, you can initiate list-match targeted campaigns.
Alternatively, run top-of-the-funnel lookalike ads by building lookalike audiences from your list. You’ll need a minimum of 3,000 emails on your list to create Quora lookalike audiences.
2. Create Ads Targeting Relevant Questions
Now that you’ve matched your audience on Quora, you can create ads that target questions related to your business.
Focus on questions with the highest number of followers seeking answers. You’ll see the follower count of a question right on the question panel.
But don’t overlook new questions with limited followers without clicking to see the engagement data on “View question log.”
You’ll see this question’s engagement numbers and decide if it’s a fit.
If you find viable questions you’re not ready to target right now, choose to get notifications to any changes on the question.
And you may choose to bookmark a response to the question so you can trace it back to that question.
Saving questions this way gives you three benefits:
- Track questions about your competitors and monitor users’ answers. Use the information you get to run targeted ads that address your competitors’ questions.
- Monitor engagement levels on relevant but low-performing questions to know when their performance has increased.
- Save relevant questions for future campaigns or product launches, so when you’re ready, you can use the questions to run your ads.
So, how do you find these questions in the first place?
Use Quora search.
Enter the keyword or topic you want to find questions and answers for, and select one of Quora’s suggestions, or click enter.
3. Use Relevant Keywords for Topic Targeting
Topic targeting has a wide audience range because it focuses on content rather than users. Use this approach if you have a larger promotion budget or question targeting doesn’t address your needs enough.
Quora groups questions by topics. Topic targeting spreads your campaign across multiple questions at once. The better way to find topics to target is to start creating a Quora ads campaign instead of using the search feature to find individual topics.
Just like creating audiences is free, this process doesn’t cost money. Here’s how it works:
Click New Campaign.
Set a campaign name, conversion event, and budget; leave everything else as default settings.
You’ll choose the topics to target in your ad sets. Name your ad set. Scroll down to Contextual targeting, type in your relevant keywords and topics, and choose from Quora’s suggestions.
A mixed demographic might be interested in a question. So, provide Quora with appropriate keywords only your target audience would use.
Complete your ad setup and launch it.
4. Attract Visitors with Promoted Answers
Promoted answers let you boost an existing answer on Quora to ensure a more extensive audience sees the answer. Besides having the label “Promoted by” your brand, promoted answers work like any other Quora answer.
People can comment, upvote, downvote, or share it. But you can only promote answers over 250 words that meet Quora’s content guidelines.
You can pair your promoted answers with a lead generation form to collect subscribers. Quora lets you build lead generation forms and set your bidding based on generated leads.
Here’s an example of a promoted answer:
Establish your industry authority by providing answers to users' questions. Here’s an example from Pollfish:
The promoted answer feature lets you share your answer with a larger audience by promoting it as a long-form ad that communicates your business value better.
When using promoted answers, always do these:
- Use relevant links in your answers. Quora will consider irrelevant or unrelated links as spam. So, only promote related products or services in promoted answers.
- Disclose your affiliations: If you mention your product or service in your promoted answer, disclose your affiliation.
- Provide educated answers: Ensure to rid your answers of grammar, spelling, and capitalization errors, also avoid abbreviations. Quora doesn’t like too much text formatting like paragraph breaks, spaces, italics, boldface, and the like.
- Use UTMs in your links: Include UTMs in hyperlinks to get additional engagement metrics.
Quora doesn’t rank promoted answers higher than organically ranked answers to questions. Promoted answers only show up in answer feeds. So, follow their best practices to ensure that your answers rank high on question pages.
5. Choose Appropriate Campaign Settings and Track Your Conversions
Set your campaign objectives to match your business goals. Quora provides you with five campaign objectives, and you can choose one.
Click New Campaign to initiate your ad setup. Name your campaign and choose an objective:
- Conversions: Best for increasing a site activity on your website
- App Installs: For boosting mobile app downloads
- Traffic: Increase your website’s traffic or traffic to a post on your website
- Awareness: Raise your brand awareness
- Lead Generation: Generate leads with Quora’s prefilled information
Your next action depends on the objective you choose.
For example, if you choose Conversions, you’ll have to select a conversion type. On the other hand, if you select App Installs, you’ll have to set up app installation tracking.
Traffic, Awareness, and Lead Generation don’t need any extra settings. Just set a budget and a schedule.
For scheduling, you can choose to set up a start and an optional end date for your campaign. Next, name your ad set and select location targeting if you’re targeting users from specific geography. You can also set location filters to exclude specific locations.
Use the guides discussed earlier in this post to set your primary targeting.
Set additional targeting by these parameters:
- Device and browser
- Question exclusion
- Audience exclusion
These additional targeting options help you nail your targeting to your specific audience.
For example, if you offer a mobile app, you can exclude desktop targeting to minimize irrelevant clicks. Likewise, if your product or service works best on Chrome, then focus on targeting those users.
Quora has three ad placement options:
- Feeds: Ads appear in users’ personalized Quora feeds
- Questions: Ads appear next to questions and answers on Quora
- Digest emails: Ads appear in personalized digest emails
However, the platform doesn’t distribute Lead Generation and App Install ads to its Quora Digest email subscribers.
Next, you’ll set a bid. Quora gives you three bidding options:
You can bid on clicks and impressions regardless of your campaign performance. However, you need to have gained a minimum of 20 leads to qualify to optimize for Leads bidding.
Track your ad conversion performance weekly to know how you fared and what efforts produced the most desired results.
Ad monitoring will help you improve and understand your strengths and weaknesses. And then use that data to iterate your ads. Follow the steps I’ve provided earlier in this post to set up your Quora pixel if you haven’t set it up yet.
Final Thoughts: Start Advertising on Quora Effectively
Now you understand how to improve your Quora ads performance in five ways. First, test each idea to see what works best for your brand. And ensure to follow Quora’s guidelines for writing answers and ads; they’ll influence your campaign’s performance.