Crucial Paradigm is a hosting company started in 2003. According to Deb A., a Crucial Paradigm representative I spoke to, the company is located in Sydney, Australia and has a team of 20.
Also from Deb – The company’s mission is to help each and everyone of our customers succeed online, with a simple product range and instant installation so you can get on doing what you love to do. Creating simple products and delivering above-and-beyond service is a reflection of their desire for customer excellence.
I have no idea why is that the intro on Crucial Paradigm Facebook goes like this – “Crucial Paradigm is one of United States’s most established and premier web hosting and domain companies.” But from what I learned they are 100% an Australian company based in Sydney.
Crucial Paradigm Hosting Plans
Crucial Paradigm offers two types of hosting services: Web Hosting (shared hosting service) and Reseller Hosting. In this section, we will focus on CP’s web hosting plans.
For shared hosting – the plans are named “Web Hosting” and “Web Hosting+”. The differences between the two are pretty straightforward. Each plans Both offer one dedicated IP address, unlimited monthly traffic, an easy-to-use control panel, automated backup, unlimited email, unlimited subdomains, free migrations, and 24/7 live support. However, while the basic Web Hosting plan offers 30 GB of storage and 10 add-on domains, the Web Hosting+ plan offers 70 GB of storage and 15 add-on domains.
The price difference between the two is substantial. While the Web Hosting plan is $10/month, the Web Hosting+ plan is double that price, at $20/month.
For reseller hosting – the plans are named “Reseller” and “Reseller+”. The main difference between these two plans are storage, bandwidth, and account capacity. See tables below for your quick reference.
|Storage||30 GB||70 GB|
|Data Transfer||1,500 GB||4,000 GB|
|Annual Price(Save 10%)||$270||$432|
The domain registration process is easy. The service offers domain names at .com, .net, .org, info, .name, or .co and also allows you to transfer your domain names to supplement your Crucial Paradigm hosting. You can easily check on the company’s website whether your desired domain name is available, and the register or transfer of a domain name for a year is only $13.
Crucial Paradigm vs World
From outside Crucial Paradigm seems like another web host targeting newbies and small-to-mid size blogs. Let’s see how Crucial Paradigm stacks up with other similar hosting companies.
Like most other similar web hosts, Crucial Paradigm technically provide unlimited hosting. However, it should be noted here that this only unlimited if you are not exceeding the CPU resources allocated to your account. There is no clear guideline on when or how Crucial Paradigm will suspend one’s account though (see quote below, TOS 12.1).
12.1 Crucial Paradigm reserves the right, in our sole discretion, to terminate your access to all or any part of the Services at any time, with or without notice, effective immediately, including but not limited to as a result of your violation of any of these Terms of Service or any law, or if you misuse system resources, such as, by employing programs that consume excessive network capacity, CPU cycles, or disk IO.
Features & Price
|Features||Crucial Paradigm||iPage||InMotion Hosting||SiteGround||MDD Hosting|
|Plan in Review||Web Hosting||Essential||Power||Grow Big||Intermediate|
|Storage||30 GB||Unlimited||Unlimited||20 GB||5 GB (SSD)|
|Data Transfer||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||250 GB|
|Signup Price(Annual Subscription)||$9/mo||$2.25/mo||$7.99/mo||$7.95/mo||$9.78/mo|
|iPage Review||InMotion Review||SiteGround Review||MDD Review|
Crucial Paradigm User Experience
Well enough introductions and review from the outside. I am sure you are smart enough to do your homework and grab those info from the official site. What makes WHSR useful is we provide hosting reviews from the inside and give information that others don’t. To do that, I got connected with owner of The Cheers, Siim Einfeldt. Siim has been hosting at Crucial Paradigm since 2006 (almost a decade!) and here’s what he think about Crucial Paradigm.
Note: The following is written by Siim Einfeldt.
I’ve been with Crucial Paradigm (crucialp.com) since 2006, so close to 10 years now, and so far I’ve been rather happy with them. The initial reason for signing up with this company was a little bit different than you might imagine. It was back in 2004 when I created my first online magazine and needed free hosting. I was searching through forums for someone to offer me free web space and there it was, the owner of the company was willing to offer me the service for free, no strings attached.
Two years later after the shared account didn’t work for me anymore, and I moved over to dedicated hosting, becoming a paying client, and I have been with them ever since. Even though there are cheaper hosts, domain registrars/resellers around, I also host all of my domains with them (roughly 80). The site I started with back in 2004, and which is still up and running, is www.thecheers.org.
What do I like the most about Crucial Paradigm ?
- Support In case of any problems with my server, after I have submitted a support ticket, I usually get a reply within 15 minutes and they work with me until the problem has been solved. They are friendly and reliable.
- Flexibility If you need anything changed, installed, or anything else you can think of, just get in touch with them and they will get things done, whatever it is. Be it something technical, be it something about billing – i.e. if you need some extra time (let’s say two weeks) to pay for your outstanding invoice, they are usually very friendly about such things.
- Dependability I wouldn’t have been with them if I couldn’t count on them to offer me the service I need. With every host you are with, you need to trust them, and with Crucial Paradigm, I have that level on trust.
What do I dislike about Crucial Paradigm?
- Change of technical support team. Sometimes, even though that happens seldom, but as I’ve been with them for years, it has happened at least twice, when new employees have been hired to the technical team, and then simple things can take time. But then again, it’s probably the same with every company – people who you have worked with a while already, know you and your usual problems well, while the newcomers often don’t have a clue.
- Sales working hours. It’s not a major issue, but their sales works usually only during normal working hours (Mon-Fri, 9-17) and sometimes, when you need something quickly over the weekend, it can be problematic.
- Domain prices. As they are a reseller, their domain prices are far from the cheapest ones, $12.95.
Rating: How would I rate the Crucial Paradigm in the scale from 1-5?
They definitely have room for improvement, so an honest rating would probably be 4.
Crucial Paradigm Uptime Review
Crucial Paradigm Uptime (Jul 2016): 100%
Crucial Paradigm Uptime (Feb 2016): 100%
Crucial Paradigm Uptime (Apr 2015): 98.58%
Bottomline: Who should host with this host?
I am very happy with my dedicated server, but I think at this point they are no longer offering dedicated servers very actively, even though it’s definitely still possible. But they are possibly the best for individuals with a few sites, or for resellers. I’m not so sure about huge companies, even though I’m pretty sure they have great custom a packages available for them as well.